Introduction to the Buddha's Teaching
Bring the dharma of early Buddhism into your life
Are you interested in learning what the Buddha taught? Are you interested in knowing how the Buddha taught? In this course you will learn the basics of the Buddha's down-to-earth teachings, and you will witness his teaching style in action when we look in detail at one of his discourses.
Many courses look at "Buddhism" the religion, but here we will look at the Buddha's teaching itself, using as a roadmap a step-by-step outline of the dharma that the Buddha gave to a layperson. The course will contain:
• Fourteen video lectures.
• One sutta study video which will introduce you to the early texts through a salient example.
• Downloadable notes to each lecture which you can print out, keep, and refer to.
• Sections for comments, questions, and discussion with each video lecture.
• Suggestions for ongoing practices that you can take into your daily life.
• A downloadable list of introductory readings and resources with detailed descriptions of each.
• A certificate of completion that you can print out and keep on completion of the course.
You may have seen Doug's popular YouTube videos at Doug's Secular Dharma. He is a contributor to the Journal of the Oxford Centre for Buddhist Studies and the Oxford Handbook of Buddhist Ethics. He holds a PhD in philosophy from the University of Wisconsin-Madison and has many years of practice in the Zen and Insight traditions. As well as being the Founder and Director of the Online Dharma Institute, he is also Study Director at the Secular Buddhist Association.
StartLecture 3: Generosity (17:16)
StartLecture 4: Ethical Conduct (19:14)
StartLecture 5: The Ethical Background of Early Buddhism (11:56)
StartLecture 6: Heaven (12:48)
StartLecture 7: Sense Pleasures and Renunciation (22:18)
StartLecture 8: Dukkha, the First Noble Truth (14:48)
StartLecture 9: The Origin of Dukkha, the Second Noble Truth (16:26)
StartLecture 10: The Cessation of Dukkha, the Third Noble Truth (18:25)
StartLecture 11: The Path to the Cessation of Dukkha, the Fourth Noble Truth (23:58)
StartLecture 12: Sutta Study (34:47)
Frequently Asked Questions
Learn the basic skills the Buddha recommended to laypeople.
Bring the practical wisdom of early Buddhism into your life today!