Are you interested in knowing who the Buddha really was? Do you want to get underneath the myths and legends to understand his personality and life story? It can be hard to find truly historical treatments of the Buddha, but that's what you'll find in this course. It will contain:
• Twenty-nine video lectures.
• Among these will be four sutta-study videos, that will reveal to you what the Buddha might really have been like at different times in his life, through a deep dive into the suttas themselves.
• Downloadable notes to each lecture which you can print out, keep, and refer to.
• Sections for comments, questions, and discussion with each video lecture.
• A certificate of completion that you can download and keep on completion of the course.
This course will help you to understand:
• What the Buddha might really have been like.
• What got the Buddha started on the path.
• How the Buddha's teachings developed over time.
• How the saṅgha of monastics began, and how it matured.
• What controversies dogged the Buddha's later life, and why.
• How and why the dharma was preserved.
• What happened to Buddhism in the aftermath of the Buddha's death.
I found the course 'The Buddha’s Life' interesting and enlightening and the references useful. Using your saying, I wish you well Doug and look forward to further courses.
- John Shaw
You may have seen Doug's popular YouTube videos at Doug's Secular Dharma. He is a contributor to the Journal of the Oxford Centre for Buddhist Studies and the Oxford Handbook of Buddhist Ethics. He holds a PhD in philosophy from the University of Wisconsin-Madison and has many years of practice in the Zen and Insight traditions. As well as being the Founder and Director of the Online Dharma Institute, he is also Study Director at the Secular Buddhist Association.
PreviewLecture 1: Introduction to the Course (11:11)
StartLecture 2: The Mythic Buddha (14:36)
StartLecture 3: Sutta Study, Incredible and Amazing (16:48)
StartLecture 4: Was There a Historical Buddha? (20:46)
StartLecture 5: Historical Background and Environment I, the Vedas (19:10)
StartLecture 6: Historical Background and Environment II, Ferment (15:49)
StartLecture 7: Youth (9:54)
StartLecture 8: Sutta Study, A Delicate Lifestyle (16:50)
StartLecture 9: Life as a Bodhisatta I, Leaving Home (19:12)
StartLecture 10: Life as a Bodhisatta II, Routes to Awakening (14:22)
StartLecture 11: Life as a Bodhisatta III, Brahminic Meditation (22:07)
StartLecture 12: Life as a Bodhisatta IV, Asceticism (11:03)
StartLecture 13: Awakening (15:29)
StartLecture 14: the First Sermon (19:49)
StartLecture 15: Sutta Study, the Buddha's First Sermon (24:27)
StartLecture 16: The Second and Third Sermons (18:37)
StartLecture 17: Other Early Teachings, Sutta Nipāta I (15:45)
StartLecture 18: Other Early Teachings, Sutta Nipāta II (20:50)
Frequently Asked Questions
Come and get to know who the Buddha really was!